Event 2



With this second event came a lot of drama for me personally. I was unable to make the last two events that Professor Vesna suggested because of work and school, and I definitely thought there would be more opportunities to go to an event before it was due. But it’s okay because thankfully my TA, Maccabee, was able to give me other events to go to. I was stressed out because my work and class schedule is so busy that I was afraid that I wasn’t going to be able to get off campus to this exhibition. Thankfully I found time in my schedule to make it to Blum & Poe to see Tony Lewis’ Jot exhibition. I really wish there were more options on campus to go to events, especially for people with extremely busy schedules. I think these events are so cool to go and witness, especially because it is an online class, it’s great to actually go and see the works of art.


When I arrived at the location, that was not too far from school, I was very confused about the set up of the place. There was a big door located on the street side, and I tried entering that way but it was locked. I was scared because I thought it might have been closed, but then I saw a lot of people sitting inside a library looking area all on their computers. I did some more searching and I walked around the back and finally found where the entrance was! Walking into the space I was thrown off a little bit. It seemed like a very clean and plain space. In this very large first room there was just a desk with a women sitting behind it. She kindly directed me to Tony Lewis’ exhibition, and the walk there consisted of blank, clean white walls. When I walked into the space of the exhibition, I was so surprised as to what I saw.

Walking into the very large space I was pleased to see five very large colorful art pieces. None of these pieces has specific names, but they all looked similar in that they consist of large, colorful, circular shapes. When I look at these paintings I almost see these shapes replicating different body positions.


In this specific panting, I see the brown circles as heads and the colorful longer pieces as arms that are being placed on top of one another. It looks like a group of people huddling together. This was the first thing I saw when looking at this painting, and I could be totally wrong but that’s the beauty of art.





This painting was especially interesting to look at because it played with my eye sight and the perspective of the painting. When I see this painting I see a person standing with the perspective coming from the ground. With one shoe being red and the other yellow, we can only really see part of the body and some background jots.

Not every single
painting looked like humans in different body shapes, but they all seemed very similar. While at the exhibition, I tried figuring out the ways that this art connected back to science. When looking up closely as each piece of art, they all had similar marks on the background whiteness of the painting. They each had random black markings, and one had the bottom of a shoe mark. The white background looked very distressed and had me questioning what he had to do to get that look to it.

Spending an entire hour in this large room with five just five paintings had me worried. But given that I was literally the only person in that entire space, and the only human interaction I had at this location was with the lady at the front desk, I decided to not only spend the time examining the paintings but to also explore the space through movement. Walking into this exhibition, where it was a very large and open space I couldn’t help but think of how great of a dance studio space it could be. I spent a good amount of time exploring the space and simply improving while getting inspired by the works of art around me. It’s not a great video, but I wanted to show what it looked like from my point of view. You can’t see the paintings as much as I had thought, but I think it’s still pretty cool.



Looking past all the worries that came with going to this exhibition, I’m really glad I was able to make it and enjoy the great empty space and take it all in. Although it would have been nice to talk with other individuals about the artwork and see what their take on it was, I’m glad I had the exhibition all to myself.


Blum & Poe. N.p., 28 Apr. 1970. Web. 15 May 2017. <http://www.blumandpoe.com/>.

"DANCE!" DANCE! | Denver Art Museum. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 May 2017. <http://denverartmuseum.org/dance>.

Reports, Staff. "All for a Laugh: Jerry Lewis Impersonator Tony Lewis Finally Finds His Dean."VVdailypress.com. VVdailypress.com, 31 Dec. 2016. Web. 15 May 2017. <http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/20161231/all-for-laugh-jerry-lewis-impersonator-tony-lewis-finally-finds-his-dean>.

"Tony Lewis." SHANE CAMPBELL GALLERY. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 May 2017. <https://www.shanecampbellgallery.com/tony-lewis>.

"Tony Lewis: Jot | Contemporary And." Contemporary And Tony Lewis Jot Comments. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 May 2017. <http://www.contemporaryand.com/exhibition/tony-lewis-jot/>.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Math + Art

Week 3: Robotics + Art

Week 1: Two Cultures