Week 4: Medicine + Technology + Art




Throughout these past few weeks, I’ve learned, through the lectures, readings, and research, that I have more knowledge and experience with the connection between art and science than I thought. This still holds true with this week’s topic of medicine, technology, and art. Growing up, my mother took my sister and me to the Bodies Exhibition in Las Vegas. This exhibition showcased multiple preserved whole bodies as well as partial body specimens, overall giving us a closer look at the skeletal, muscular, respiratory, and circulatory systems. As a young girl, I never thought about the binding of medicine, technology, and art that the exhibition was accomplishing. Having the experience to see these works of art, that were actual bodies, makes me more personally involved and interested in this week’s topic.



In Professor Vesna’s lecture, we learned about the Visual Human Project which really caught my attention. With more research behind this project of the slicing of two bodies very thinly and collecting a dataset of pictures of these slices, I have found multiple resources that play with the artistic aspect of it. In the video below, you will see a video of the continuous dataset of the body. When watching this, I am so amused by the hypnotizing and relaxing artistic aspect of it. I have also attached a link to a website where you can actually scroll though it yourself and I had fun creating different patterns throughout this body, and I highly suggest you try it out as well.


https://www.imaios.com/en/e-Anatomy/Thorax-Abdomen-Pelvis/Visible-Human-Project


Another topic that came up in lecture and from watching the documentary was Orlan. While watching her documentary I had to shield my eyes a lot away from the footage, as they did not shy away from showing everything. I was grossed out to say this least, but this brought up a great point to me. Being an artist myself, I try and create material that moves the audience and does something either to their brain or emotions. After watching the documentary I realized just how moved I was. Even though it was based on discomfort for myself, these procedures still made a big statement artistically on me.


Sources/Links

Vesna, Victoria. "Medicine Pt1." YouTube. YouTube, 21 Apr. 2012. Web. 30 Apr. 2017. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep0M2bOM9Tk&feature=youtu.be>.

"Bodies... The Exhibition." Luxor. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2017. <https://www.luxor.com/en/entertainment/bodies-the-exhibition.html>.

MutleeIsTheAntiGod. "Orlan - Carnal Art (2001) Documentary." YouTube. YouTube, 13 Mar. 2011. Web. 30 Apr. 2017. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no_66MGu0Oo&feature=youtu.be>.

"Visible Human Project: Anatomy of the Whole Human Body (male Cadaver)." IMAIOS. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2017. <https://www.imaios.com/en/e-Anatomy/Thorax-Abdomen-Pelvis/Visible-Human-Project>.

Sayej, Nadja. "ORLAN: 'I Walked a Long Way for Women'." The Guardian. Guardian News and Media, 15 Jan. 2016. Web. 30 Apr. 2017. <https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/jan/15/orlan-i-walked-a-long-way-for-women>.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Math + Art

Week 3: Robotics + Art

Week 1: Two Cultures